Thursday, October 16, 2008

I don't want to think about Uncle Joey having sex, OK?

In 1995, my friend Peter introduced me to the best 'fuck you' anthem ever written: Alanis Morrissette's "You Oughta Know."

It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced.
Are you thinking of me when you fuck her?


It was every college girl's feminist anthem, blasted in dorm rooms to repair wounded egos after drunken hook-ups gone bad.

Today, while listening to my Ipod at work, "You Oughta Know" came on. Still awesome ... but ... it doesn't pack the same punch.

Maybe it's because I'm not 21 anymore. Maybe it's because I am so single/unattached/frigid that I can longer relate to this kind of angst. Or, perhaps, just perhaps, it's because we now know that the man who inspired this song is kind of an asexual doofus.

Comedian Dave Coulier--better known as "Uncle Joey" to the Olsen twins on Full House--recently confessed that he caused Alanis' angst.

Uncle fucking Joey? Really?

Uncle Joey inspired her to scream,
And every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it...well can you feel it?

I'm sure he's a nice, funny guy. But he was on Skating with Celebrities, for pete's sake.

I wish I could erase this piece of trivia from my consciousness. Because now, when I hear this song and start singing along with the first verse, I inevitably visualize Alanis going down on Uncle Joey in a theater.

As precocious Stephanie Tanner always said to her wacky Uncle Joey, "That's rude." And kinda gross.

No comments: