Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hope.

Over the last two years, I have resisted Obama-mania, for a lot of reasons. I disagree with him on energy policy, for one. I worry about his willingness to compromise for the sake of compromise. Mostly, after 15 years in DC, I was skeptical (and cynical) about his claim that he can somehow transcend the partisan politics that are so entrenched in this town. I voted for him, but without the fervor of most Obama supporters.

But tonight, seeing the huge outpouring of human emotion across the country after Senator Obama hit 270, witnessing people in conservative states like my home state of Indiana reject fear and vote for change, listening to Rep. John Lewis talk about what the Obama victory means to him as someone who fought for civil rights in the 1960s ... I decided.


I am giving in to hope. After the travesty of the last eight years, I am allowing myself to believe that President Obama can lead us forward.


His acceptance speech moved me not only in its honesty and humility but in its earnest and urgent call to action. Voting isn't enough; now, as a country, we need to get to work. These words actually moved me to tears, so I am going to repeat them here.
The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there.

I promise you, we as a people will get there.


There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as president. And we know the government can't solve every problem.


But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation, the only way it's been done in America for 221 years -- block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.


What began 21 months ago in the depths of winter cannot end on this autumn night.


This victory alone is not the change we seek. It is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were.

It can't happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice.

So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility, where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other.

Hard work, sacrifice, and service never sounded so good. Bring it on.

No comments: